Sitting on the grass I made a sketch of zinnias. I like this viewpoint and will keep this handy as an inspiration for future paintings and wallpaper and wrapping paper designs!
Detail from painting of “Dream Land Estates” series where I am exploring renewal and growth in these once abandoned home development sites.
I painted this stylized watercolor painting of leaves on a summer day outside where the tree leaves were casting shadows on the watercolor paper. I outlined some of the shapes with masking fluid to create layers of colorful outlines and shapes.
The City of Reno Art BLAST* Exhibit and Art Fair Countdown begins! It’s just a month away when the exhibit will open on August 18th at the City of Reno McKinley Arts and Culture Center Galleries. “Springtime Chatter” will be on display in the Gallery.
* I was fortunate to receive a Jackpot grant from the Nevada Arts Council and this event will be funded, in part, by the Nevada Arts Council, a state agency, and the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.
Beautiful chattering birds Poetry Painting print for sale at gilmanart.com/shop-for-art. Poetry Paintings are a collaboration between by talented poet husband Guy Farmer and myself where we are creating thoughtful art that combines original poetry and painting that are available to purchase as prints. Visit my Shop for Art page for details on purchasing a giclee print.
Fun children’s art project to make a branch story book that the children created at my art station during VSA Nevada’s Art, History, and Literature Festival last Saturday. Perfect for young children to practice drawing and telling stories. Adults will love this too!
- Fold a piece of paper in to accordion style folds.
- Children draw and color their story on to the paper from top to bottom showing something different happening in each folded area.
- Punch 2 holes at the top.
- Tie on a small branch and leave an area of yarn, string, or ribbon to hang on the wall.
- Can be folded-up and tied together with a piece of string and then unfolded and ready to hang on the wall.
- Wonderful project for children to create their own story or to capture a progression of steps or changes. (caterpillar changing in to a butterfly, a bird building a nest and then babies hatching (my example above), or kitten growing up in to a cat.